Monday 3 June 2013

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Someone told me the other day about someone she met on a train in Preston who had followed Hypnobirthing. Apparently the Hypnobirthing Mum-to-be was asked by the midwife to stop hypnosis as the pain was needed for her own safety. I'm not a midwife and I'm not medically trained so if anyone else could shed some light onto these comments I would appreciate it!

Hypnosis is a natural form of pain control. I think maybe medical staff who don't know about it might feel a little threatened if they are out of their depth? It is common for medical staff to be caught out by a birthing mother who is so calm and contented that the medical staff don't realise how imminent birth is!!

Going back to the train lady. If pain was a measure to keep her safe, what would happen if she had pethedine or an epidural? I wish I had more information!

I think midwives in general are becoming more accepting to 'alternative' methods of pain relief. Natal Hypnotherapy™ has actually just received accreditation from the Royal College of Midwives, so there shouldn't be any issue about using Natal Hypnotherapy™ techniques. I think the more midwives that see the results of a Natal Hypnotherapy™ birth can only be a good thing, restoring their faith in the abilities of women they attend to.

Natal Hypnotherapy™ doesn't guarantee a pain free labour, but is more about how women are able to manage the experience. In the following article midwife Mary McCallan at Altnegelvin Hospital, Northern Ireland discusses her experiences of Natal Hypnotherapy™ from a personal and professional perspective.

I Love Labour

Natal Hypnotherapy™ Blackpool



No comments:

Post a Comment